The Constitutional Law Society of the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (“Constitutional Law Society”) is pleased to organise the 4th Durga Das Basu Essay Competition 2015-2016 (“Competition”).
The Competition has been instituted by the University in memory of the eminent jurist.
The topic for the Competition is “Scrutinising the Constitutional power to disqualify a person from contesting democratic elections”.
The last date for submission of the essay is January 31st, 2016.
1. This Competition is open to students (undergraduate/post-graduate) from all colleges in India. Multiple essays from the same college are permitted.
2. There is no registration fee.
3. The formatting specifications are:
• All submissions are required to have a cover page. The name of the participant and the participant’s college should be clearly mentioned on the cover page.
• Font: Time News Roman
• Font Size: 12
• Spacing: 1.5
• Margin: One inch on all sides
• Paper size: A4
• Word Limit: 3500-5000 (exclusive of footnotes)
• Citations are mandatory and should be in the form of footnotes following a uniform format.
4. Co-authorship is not allowed.
5. All submissions will undergo strict online plagiarism check.
6. Special consideration will be placed upon originality, content and presentation.
7. All entries will be marked anonymously. Personal details of the author should be restricted to the cover page only. Any violation of this rule will result in disqualification.
8. The copyright in the essay submitted by the participant shall vest with the Constitutional Law Society. Further, the Constitutional Law Society shall not be responsible for any liability accrued to any person or for any loss caused to any person because of the content of the essay submitted. By submitting the essay, the participant agrees to be bound by these conditions.
9. In case of any dispute, the decision of the Constitutional Law Society and National University of Juridical Sciences will be final.
10. Please visit the page of the NUJS Constitutional Law Society page, (click HERE) for updates about the competition.
Procedure for Submission
All participants must send electronic copies of their essay in “.docx” (Microsoft Word) and “.pdf” formats by email to email@example.com by 11:59 PM on January 31st, 2016.
Late submissions will be penalised at the discretion of the judges.
The participants are also required to send a scanned copy of their institutional identity card along with the submission.
A total of three attachments are required with every mail.
It is the responsibility of each participant to ensure that the “.docx” copy of the submission can be opened legibly with Microsoft Office 2010 or Microsoft Office 2007 and the “.pdf” copy of the submission can be opened legibly with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
1. The winning participant will be awarded a Winner’s Certificate issued by the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences and the Constitutional Law Society and a Cash Prize of Rs. 5,000.
2. The participant placed second will be awarded a Runner Up Certificate issued by the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences and the Constitutional Law Society and a Cash Prize of Rs. 3,000.
3. A “Certificate of Merit” issued by the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences and the Constitutional Law Society shall also be awarded to the next two best participants.
4. A “Certificate of Participation” will be issued to all the participants of the Competition in electronic format by the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences and the Constitutional Law Society.
For further details, click HERE.