Draconian hostel rules issued by NUALS Kochi on May 24, 2017 indicate that the law school is turning into a dictatorial, closed, non-liberal space. Many of the hostel rules violate the Fundamental Rights of students.
It’s shocking and shameful that law schools which should be at the vanguard of promoting liberal democratic values are issuing such rules.
Here are some snippets:
– No hosteller shall be permitted to stay out of NUALS Campus beyond 07.00 p.m. unless it is with a special written permission.
– All hostellers have to inform and obtain prior permission from the Hostel Administrator to go out of station (beyond Ernakulam city limits). Moreover, hostellers have to submit consent letter/fax/e-mail from their parents/local guardians to the Hostel Administrator/Warden for the same.
– Strict silence shall be observed in the hostel from 11.00 p.m. to 6.00 a.m. Care shall be taken at all times to ensure that loud talking is NOT audible outside the room. Any manner of festivities and noise making/celebrations, which may cause disturbance to other hostellers in the hostel premises, will not be allowed. Recreational facilities will not be available after 11.00 p.m. to facilitate concentration on studies/projects.
Disciplinary Action: Any hosteller found to be guilty of gross-misconduct, indecent manners, misbehaviour or undesired and illegal activities shall be liable and for which disciplinary action can be initiated including expulsion or suspension from the hostel or levying of fines/penalties.
For the purpose of this rule, gross misconduct, indecent manners, misbehaviour, undesirable and illegal activities shall mean and include the following:
- Holding unauthorized meetings and demonstrations.
- Visiting each other’s room very frequently and at odd times (after 09.00 p.m.) disturbing the atmosphere for studies.
– Misuse of Internet and Online Social Media: Any act of uploading derogatory remarks or image ridiculing a person in the eyes of others against the University or any other person or organization will invite disciplinary action. Hosteller should strictly refrain from indulging in any act of violating the code of internet use. Hostellers who are found visiting blocked/banned websites using proxy servers and other means shall be expelled from the hostel.
– Information to Media: The hosteller shall take prior written permission of the Warden before giving any information or interview regarding the Hostel to any member of the Press, Print Media, Radio, Television or any other media or before making any speech containing any information regarding the Hostel.
Full rules are here.