The National Human Rights Commission has been regularly conducting ‘Summer and Winter Internship Programmes’ since 1998 and 2000 respectively. The NHRC Summer Internship 2014 has been announced!
This year NHRC’s “Summer Internship Programme (SIP) 2014” will commence from 2nd June to 1st July 2014 (30 days).
Applications are invited from eligible students of the entire country.
Eligibility for NHRC Summer Internship 2014
1. Students of the 4th and 5th year pursuing 5 Years Integrated Law Course –(while applying).
2. Students of the 3rd year pursuing 3 years LL.B. Course – (while applying).
3. Students pursuing LL.M. Course
4. Students pursuing MA in Human Rights, Post Graduate students of Political Science, Sociology, Social Work (MSW), Criminology, Public Administration, Rural Development, History, Economics, Commerce, Anthropology, International Relations and any of the discipline of Social Sciences would be considered with preference to students pursuing their final year. Only students of regular courses of UGC Recognized Universities will be eligible.
5. Students who have attained a minimum of 65% marks in Class XII.
6. Attested photocopies of mark-sheets for each and every year / semester are to be submitted for all the preceding years from Class XII onwards failing which the application will be liable to be rejected.
7. Efforts will be made to give representation to all categories of students.
8. A 500 words write-up (hand-written) on the topic “Reason for joining as Intern in NHRC” will be required to be submitted by the applicants along with application which will also serve as a basis of selection.
9. The merit will be made on the basis of marks calculated out of a total of 100 marks on account of Class XII @ 30 Marks, Graduation @ 30 Marks and the Marks scored in the Write-up of 500 words @ 40 Marks.
10. Students who have attended the regular one month Summer / Winter Internship Programmes organized by NHRC earlier will not be eligible to apply.
Brief Course Structure of SIP 2014
About 82 sessions on various human rights issues are proposed to be covered to sensitize the interns. The SIP 2014 will include following inputs:
• Classroom sessions.
• Interaction with Hon’ble Chairperson and Members of NHRC.
• Project work on Human Rights issues.
• State Presentation on H.R. Scenario of the State to which interns belong to.
• Book Review from NHRC Library.
• Films on Human Rights & Discussion – Child Labour issues, Anti Trafficking, Health and Education issues and discussions.
• Field Visits – Two field visits will be organized from among the following:
a. Visit to Police stations & Jail – The Interns would basically observe and interact with Police officers / Jail Authorities and the inmates and appreciate the Jail and Correctional Administration.
b. NGO’s– The interns would visit NGOs where they can interact with Street Children and appreciate the problems.
c. Juvenile Home – The interns would visit to observe the children and their living conditions and the Juvenile Justice System in practice.
d. Old Age Home – The interns would be exposed to the basic human rights problem of the elderly people and get sensitized.
Facilities to Interns
• The interns will be given a Kit/Bag containing NHRC reading materials and Intern Badges.
• Library facilities will be provided.
• Computer with Internet facilities will be provided.
The selected interns from outside Delhi will be allowed ordinary second-class train fare to New Delhi and back to their place of study through the shortest route.
For interns other than from Delhi (NCR) will be paid an amount of Rs. 8000/- (Rupees Eight Thousand only) as stipend. Students from Delhi and National Capital Region (NCR) will be paid Rs. 4,000/- (Four Thousand only) as stipend.
An amount of Rs. 15,000/- will be distributed to the interns who are placed in I, II and III position in the order of merit.
1. The last date for the submission of the application is 22nd April 2014. Kindly send the application by speed post/ courier/ by-hand superscribed on the envelope “Application for SIP 2014”.
2. The ‘Application Form’ for SIP 2014’ is available in Annexure I HERE.
An Undertaking Form duly filled as at Annexure – II may also be submitted.
3. Please ensure that the application for SIP 2014 is duly signed and sealed by the Head of the Department (HOD). Applications submitted otherwise will not be accepted.
4. Incomplete applications / applications without attested copies of mark-sheets are liable to be rejected. No application will be accepted after the deadline of 22nd April 2014, (5.00 pm)
5. Application in the prescribed proforma (Annexue-I) duly forwarded by HODs may please be sent to “Dr. Sudershan Kumar Jain, Senior Research Officer (Training), National Human Rights Commission, Manavadhikar Bhawan, Block-C, GPO Complex, I.N.A.,
New Delhi-110023, Tel. 011-24663283”
6. The Final List of Selected Interns will be displayed on NHRC website.
For any details, you may please contact at Ph: 011–24663283/ 9868393317 (Between 9.30 AM to 6.00 PM only on working days).