(1) Name, College, Year of study
Jogesh Chandra Choudhuri College of Law(affiliated to Calcutta University), Kolkata(India).
Fifth Year(9th Semester).
(2) Name of the organisation, City, Office Address, How was the office? Team strength :-
Udwadia Udeshi & Argus Partners
238 B, A J C Bose Road, Minto Park, Kolkata – 700020.
The office is situated in the Second Floor of the building and is quite spacious with a separate work station for every intern and a Conference Room cum Library.
There were 4 Associates in the Corporate Team of UUA which was headed by one partner. The litigation team consisted of 1 Associate and was headed by another partner.
(3) Duration in weeks. Days of work per week. Timings:-
1st April to 30th April, 2014. (1 month)
5 days a week, 10.00 am to 7 pm.
Interns could leave at 7pm if your work is over. On very rare occasions I stayed back a little longer but it never exceeded beyond 8 pm. So, timings are fairly followed.
We work 5 days a week leaving your weekends free to explore Kolkata or to catch up on sleep. The timing at UUA is strictly followed for the Interns.
(4) Application Procedure? Internship Contact Details:-
I applied through emails. You don’t have to follow up a lot as because they don’t have HR. If they like your CV you will get a confirmation mail from them.
I sent my Curriculum Vitae with good Cover Letter in an email-id at firstname.lastname@example.org
‘’Most people from Kolkata want to intern at this firm since it is one of the few good Corporate Law firm in the city. So, it is important to apply in advance.’’
Accommodation was not an issue as I live in Kolkata. However, for outsiders, there are plenty of Paying Guests and Hostels available near Exide Crossing, Hazra Crossing, Chowringhee Road, Park Street and in other main areas.
(6) First impression, First day, formalities etc :-
Interns do sit separately. I was given a seat amongst the Associates and introduced to everyone by an Associate. I believe this really strengthened the bond between the associates and the interns.
Thereafter, the IT head described me the rules about the Library access and computer access and within the next 30 mintues I had my first assignment.
(7) Main Tasks:-
I worked with both Corporate and Litigation Team and assigned good quality work by them. Major tasks in the firm involved Research work, proofreading and typing work sometimes.
The work in the Corporate Team mainly assigned by the Principal Associate of the firm to the interns. He is a nice person and always ready to solve any query at any time. He assigned me couple of interesting assignments through out my internship.
During my UUA internship, I mainly researched on the following topics which are described below:-
1. Researched on The Companies Act , 2013 and prepared a note on the recent notified sections.
2. Researched on The West Bengal Municipal (Building) Rules, 2007 ; The West Bengal Fire Services Act, 1950 and prepared a note on the approvals required for the construction of a building in West Bengal in a municipal area.
3. Researched on the Competition laws and proofread the recent judgements given by the Tribunal.
4. Researched on the Transfer of Property Act, 1882.
5. Researched on the Comparison between Companies Act, 1956 and Companies Act, 2013. Prepared a chart on it.
6. Researched on the various circumstances when ‘’Settlement Deed’’ is executed.
7. Researched on the Workmen’s Compensation Act,1923 and mainly researched on the relationship between Principal employer and Contractor.
8. Drafted few clauses of ‘’Memorandum of Association of a Company’’.
9. Made a presentation on SARFAESI ACT to the Corporate Team and researched on DRT Act, Banking Regulation Act, Transfer of Property Act and related other laws for presentation.
‘’One thing you need to do at UUA internship is to make a Corporate presentation to the ‘’Corporate Team’’ on any topic at the end of the internship. The Associates will throw tricky questions to the interns just to make them nervous, which I don’t like at all…..’’
(8)Work Environment, people:-
In my opinion, the work environment was brilliant. The Associates are so much fun and they do not treat you like an intern. The people are very nice and it is not possible for anyone to get bored in this office. Specially, the Principal Associate was very humble and approachable. He is a fun guy among others who likes to interact with the interns specially.
(9) Best things?
The best thing about the internship was the nature of work and excellent work environment. The Associates always make the interns feel very comfortable within the Firm while working and even they will chat with you while you had less work or during lunch hours.
The office boys are also very nice and helpful and you are provided with coffee/tea twice a day.
(10) Bad things?
No such bad things I have noticed.
(11) What did you do to chill? Co-interns, colleagues :-
The firm is located in a very nice part of the city, close to Exide Crossing(Rabindra Sadan Metro Station) which is a nice area with good eating joints and many cheap restaurants are there too for hangout or spicy lunch etc.
I had two co-interns that time, so most of the days I used to go out and had lunch with my co-interns.
(12)Stipend/ month :-
(13) Anything else you’d like to tell :-
The UUA(Kolkata) internship was a very enriching experience for me. I learnt a lot about law just by researching. There were helpful associates who helped me in most of the Assignments. The internship opened my eyes to practical, ground-work. Overall a good learning experience.
‘’Don’t hesitate to ask for work. One should go and give his/her best shot and rock the Internship.’’