Your Name, College, Year of Study, Email ID
Name of Organisation, Location city, Team Strength
Chambers of Senior Advocate, Ms. Geeta Luthra
I applied for the internship by sending Cover Letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration of internship and timings
4 weeks [10th April, 2015- 07th May, 2015]. I did my internship in summer vacations of my college after completing my second year.
First impression, first day formalities, infrastructure
On my first day, I was asked to report at 109, Lawyers Chambers, Delhi High Court at 10 am. When I reached there, Jomol Ma’am asked my name and college. Thereafter, I was given the form for getting visitor pass in order to get entry into court rooms. Later that day, I attended court proceedings where I saw Geeta Ma’am arguing in some cases.
After the court hours, I was asked to reach at Office which was situated at A-35, East of Kailash, New Delhi. The office is the basement of her residence. The office was a well setup area consisting of associate cabins, conference rooms and desk for interns as well. There were around 10 associates and 4-5 clerks working with her. On the first day, I was given some research work and I was allowed to go at 9 pm.
Further, the interns were supposed to be in formal dresses i.e. black and white.
I was given a variety of work and this enabled me getting exposure in various areas of law. If an intern does the work properly and diligently, then the work was also appreciated.
During the court hours an intern has to attend and observe the court proceedings. Sometimes, one was also asked to bring copies of judgments from the High Court library or to get print outs of the same from printing or Xerox shops.
Mainly, I did research and drafting work. During first 2-3 days of my internship I was given research work only. After some days, I was asked to prepare case notes and was also given drafting work.
I research and prepared case notes on matters pertaining to Domestic Voilence act, Hindu Marriage Act, Hindu Adoption & Maitenance Act, CrPC, CPC, IPC, Recovery of Debts due to Banks & Financial Institutions Act etc.
I was also given opportunity to draft Written Statments, rejoinders, Written Submissions, reply to applications under Hindu Marriage Act, Domestic Violence Act, Criminal Procedure code. I also drafted various affidavits and Memorandum of Understanding.
Sometimes, I also used to assist the associates for preparing them for court proceedings such as getting orders from Delhi High Court and Supreme Court websites, flagging the annexures in the files etc.
A lot of work was given to interns and a great respect was given to them. So, if some work was given to an intern then it was expected that work should be done carefully and properly because the associates trusted their interns a lot.
Moreover, the amount of work also depended upon the fact that an intern was interested to do. Sometimes, one had to take initiative to get work but there was no dearth of work.
Work environment and people
The work environment was very good. Sometimes, Geeta Ma’am and Sanjeev Sir also gave me research work which was indeed a great opportunity.
The associates were friendly in nature. Most of the work was assigned to me by Jomol Ma’am and she helped me a lot while doing the work. Sometimes, she asked to work on a particular case and I had brief her on the matter.
I got to learn several things from Jomol Ma’am and she was very friendly and at the same time she also expected the work given by her should be done properly with due care. She also shared her experiences including why he chose litigation over any other career options. Further, she was a valuable source for getting advice on stuff related to law school activities, academics, mooting and what to opt for after completing law school.
Naina Ma’am also gave me research work and some translation work. She was very particular about work and more importantly she wanted her work to be done on time. However, she was very helpful and nice person. Moreover, she also used to tell the factual background of the case on which you are working that made research work somewhat easier because some cases had very complicated facts.
Apart from them, all other associates were very supportive be it Priyesh Sir, Suadat Sir, Anshul Sir, Divya Ma’am, Deepti Ma’am etc. It was a place where I enjoyed working there and I had no problem going back at 11 or 12 in the night only because of amazing and lively work environment.
Further, there were several other interns as well so there would be hardly any time you get bored. Intiially, I planned to intern there for 3 weeks, however my internship experience was so good that I extended my internship by one week. I extended only for a week because I had to join another internship which I had scheduled earlier.
There were lot of best things in that internship. Some of them are:-
1. A lot of work was there and hence you get to learn a lot.
2. The work environment was very amazing which ensured that you never get bored and made learning things simpler.
3. Getting a chance to work with Geeta Ma’am, Sanjeev Sir, Jomol Ma’am and Naina Ma’am is an opportunity that one cannot afford to miss it.
4.. Being praised by the associates and especially Geeta Ma’am for the work done is the best incentive and was enough for making that day.
5. The research work pertained to several diverse areas which allowed gaining a better practical knowledge and insight of wide variety of laws.
6. Geeta Ma’am’s library consisted of books of renowned Indian as well as foreign authors, best legal dictionaries pertaining to almost every branch of law that was relevant to litigation. Therefore, a lot of sources were there which made researching on complex legal issues easier. Needless to say, one could also access SCC Online and Manupatra.
7. This is a must do internship for those who want purse career in litigation and even if someone does not want to choose for litigation, this internship is a very fruitful learning experience.
8. This internship is great place to learn drafting and certainly I learned a lot in that aspect.
9. You get chance to interact with Geeta Ma’am on several occasions. I have heard from some of my friends that they hardly ever interacted with Sr. Advocates during their internships which they said was a bad part of their internship.
This was amazing internship experience in which I personally did feel anything bad. However:
1. On some occasions, it used to get very boring in Courts when some matters are adjourned. Also, sometimes when I enjoyed Geeta Ma’am arguing in particular matter and was very excited what could happen next in that case then the next date of hearing was given after the duration of my internship.
2. The office was the basement area. So, at times I had to go out to make a call.
No Stipend. However, interning under Geeta Ma’am is indeed a great opportunity and is great learning experience. Further, stipend is not a deciding factor for me while choosing any internship. More important is the amount of work you learn and a good work environment.
If you are planning to intern there you should keep one thing in mind that amount of work you want to do will entirely depend upon your dedication. If your are less serious about work, then you yourself would be losing something. So, work hard and have some patience as these qualities are indispensable to succeed in any career relating to law be it litigation, corporate etc.
Any Other Thing
This is one of the best litigation internship experience one could have. I would rate this internship 10/10.
If anybody is getting a chance to intern there, one should not give a second thought on that and this is a must do internship.
Accommodation & Food Places Nearby
The office was located in East of Kailash, New Delhi. So getting a PG in nearby areas will not difficult for anyone as one could easily find a good PG anywhere in East of Kailash, Greater Kailash, Defence Colony, Neeti Bagh etc.
Also there was no dearth of restaurants in that area including Pizza Hut, Dominos, McDonalds and several other north indian restaurants.