Your Name, College, Year of Study, Email ID
KOPAL GARG , MAHARASHTRA NATIONAL LAW UNIVERSITY MUMBAI
Name of Organisation, Location city, Team Strength
Application Process with contact details
Interested female applicants should email a resume and cover letter explaining their interests and experience to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact No:- 0522-2782060/66
Duration of internship and timings
December 17, 2015 – January 16, 2016 (4 weeks) Winter Internship
First impression, first day formalities, infrastructure
The first day, I entered the office, I was quite nervous as to the work I would have to do.
While I was waiting for the concerned person in the waiting area, Chhavi Di came up to me and introduced me with the work and objectives of AALI and briefed me about the work pattern and other working guidelines for an intern.
She also briefed me about the basic two units- research work unit or the advocacy unit and the case work unit or the Legal Unit, functioning in AALI. I was also instructed to be punctual, sincere, responsible and expected me to have sound communication skills.
After that, I was asked to read the publications of AALI. It was very interesting as the cases were surprising.
I was shocked to read those cases as I realized how the large number of violence against women and children still exists even after so many stringent laws.
And when I read how AALI dealt with those cases, my perception on how laws work changed and I realized how an active participation in society and its issues is much more important than making laws and sitting without executing and implementing them in practical life.
Main Tasks which I did during my internship includes
• Preparing case studies pertaining to diffrent issues on Domestic violence, Sexual Harassment at Workplace, etc
• Compiled SCRB data of 10 districts on Crime against Women and Children in the year 2012, 2013 and 2014.
• Prepared questions from the bareact of The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act,2012 (POCSO) on proceedings in the Court, i.e from Chapter VIII (Sec. 33 to Sec. 38 ).
• Media Scanning of different newspapers, both Hindi and English.
• Compiled data on Lawyer?s database and Organisation- AALI Contacts.
• Listed out different governmental organization on both Centre and State level working for the welfare of Women and Children and Compiled the results.
• Research of judgements on following points:
- Interim Maintenance, Section 125 CrPC.
- When the husband is not in a position to maintain the wife
- Maintaining same standard of living, Section 20 PWDVA
- Shared Household, PWDVA
- Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act, 1986
- The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012
• Compiled data of all the Police Stations of Lalitpur on No. of FIR, Chargesheet filed and Final Report submission on different sections of IPC and POCSO received as an information from RTIs filed earlier.
• Prepared document on Fundamental Rights and its importance. Filed 1st Appeal under RTI Act, 2005 to Baghpat DLSA.
• Read UN Convention on Human Rights and understood fundamental rights with Human Rights perspective.
• Data Feed in Excel file of NCRB Data on Crime against Women and Children under various Sections of IPC and POCSO.
Work environment and people
Most of the people working there were directly or indirectly related to the field of law so they helped me in giving legal perspective to my work.
I could discuss and debate about the recent judgments on different issues dealing with Women and their safety.
Other interns working their were from different law schools which gave me a wonderful opportunity to strengthen my legal network.
Apart from this, there was a library where one can find very good books on Domestic Violence, Women’s safety, Human Rights, Sexual Harassment, Criminal law, Conventions, UN Reports, etc.
One of the thing which I liked the most about AALI was the: Work Environment and Rigorous Timings which helped me in getting acquinted with the Corporate Office culture.
Sometimes, you don’t really have any work to do so they ask you to to media scanning, i.e Reading newspaper from morning to evening.
No stipend. Field Trips were arranged on their expense.
I basically involved myself in researching judgment on different issues and concepts which helped me a lot in understanding concepts like how to find a judgment, what are the relevant part of a judgment, etc. which is also a part of my academics.
I also understood various concepts like Internal Complaint Committee, Rashan Card, FIR, ChargeSheet, filing an RTI and many more which really increased my interest toward the subject of law.
Working with the cases and legal work, I realized the importance of the profession which I have chosen and also got to know how this subject and profession can be more interesting and part of a social work.
Any Other Thing
I would suggest every law student to do this internship.
I stayed at relative’s place
Office Timings were 10 am to 6 pm with a short half an hour Lunch Break in between.