Your Name, College, Year of Study, Email ID
Vaishnavi Agarwal, Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad, 2nd Year
Name of Organisation, Location city, Team Strength
A.K.Singh and Associates, Kolkata,
Application Process with contact details
I contacted them on this land connection: 033 2243 5251. I was asked to mail my CV and cover-letter on the following email id: email@example.com. Sir replied to my mail in less than a week. The office is located just near the Bankshall Court and the address is 2, Nicco House, 6th Floor, Hare Street, Kolkata 700001.
Duration of Internship and timings
May 29, 2017 – June 22, 2017, Timing was 10:30 am to 5 pm. Saturdays were generally off.
First impression, first day formalities, infrastructure
The first day I directly approached Ashok Sir. He asked me to introduce myself, my area of interest and subjects which have been covered in my college. I was immediately assigned work and given a table and chair to sit. The interns sat along with the associates. There was another intern.
The work environment is highly professional. However the Advocates were friendly and answered all my queries. The office was fully air-conditioned. Use of internet or doing anything else apart from the work assigned is strictly not allowed.
There were loads of research work on wide-ranging laws like NI Act, SARFAESI Act, CPC, CrPC, Indian Contract Act, Partnership Act and various State Acts. Some of the work assigned to me was:-
- West Bengal Co-operative Societies Act, 2006: whether a minor can be nominated by a member of cooperative society and can acquire ownership of the property?
- Section 14 of SARFAESI Act, nature of agricultural land excluded under Section 31 of SARFAESI Act in connection with the state of West Bengal.
- Order 1 Rule 10 of Civil Procedure Code, 1908: whether an application under the said order is appealable or revision able?
- Aspects of Section 24, CPC: Whether Rent Controller is a Court within the meaning of S.24 CPC, Can a suit be filed on the ground of bias under the said Section?
- Whether invalid account number can be a ground under section 138 of Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881 as amended?
- Whether S.39 of the West Bengal Premises Tenancy Act, 1997 and Rules can oust the jurisdiction of a civil court under S.24 of the CPC?
- Whether Calcutta High Court can allow a Dasti Warrant and if so, on what basis?
- Examining the basis of classification of civil suits under the light of Calcutta City Civil Court Act, 1953 and Rules.
- Reading and forming of opinion on corporate insolvency resolution process, under S.8 and S.9 of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
Other research was also given, but it is not possible to mention all here. Apart from this, we were also given some drafting work like: preparing list of dates, legal notices, replies, case notes and read several case briefs.
I also prepared a counter-argument. I also attended training on how to advance research on SCC Online. I was also taken for observing court proceedings at High Court of Calcutta and National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), Debt Recovery Tribunal (DRT), City Civil Court and Bankshall Court.
Work environment and people
The work environment was good. Everyone starting from the accountants, advocates to the clerk worked diligently. I was assisted especially while doing drafting work. I was given a sample and my work was also corrected by the Advocates and I was told about the mistakes and asked to rectify them. If you were stuck with anything, you can tell Sir about your problem. He would tell you to what materials to refer. Ashok Sir also gave me books, if I needed any for conducting the research.
Also, the interns are expected to complete their work on time and mail it to Sir. Interns are expected to wear uniforms, because they might be taken to Court anytime. However, there is no court visit, then the interns can wear formals.
- You are given a choice between doing the internship in the office or Sir’s chamber. Based on your location, you can choose.
- There wasn’t a single day without any work, instead you will be burdened with work and you have to spend time in doing the work at home.
- Interns can borrow books from specific nearby stores for two-three days on Sir’s permission and return it after the work is done.
- Interns are treated with love and respect and as part of the firm.
- Sir reads the mails submitted to him.
- The people- all were helpful.
- It is a proper litigation Office and the perfect law firm internship for a beginner to enhance their research skills.
- The office had no washroom of its own and we had to use the building’s common washroom, no separate washrooms for male and female.
- The scorching heat of Kolkata.
- Long hours in the office left very less time to work assignments at home.
The stipend of Rs.2100 for 3 weeks came as a surprise. There are three slots for stipend, given depending upon the work done.
This law firm allowed me my first research exposure. I enhanced my researching skills drastically. The researching tips on SCC Online.
Kolkata is my hometown.
10:30 am to 5 pm. Timings were relaxed, but interns are expected to be inside by 11 am.