Category A: Competition Policy and Law
First Prize: Mr. Geet Sawhney, Government Law College, Mumbai.
Second Prize: Ms. Kritika Sethi, Nalasar University of Law, Hyderabad.
Third Prize: Ms Aastha Tiwari & Mr. Sidharth Tewari, Symbiosis Law School, Pune.
Category B: Economic Regulation
First Prize: Mr. Mavis Marcus Cardoz & Ms. Himani Singh, Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University, Lucknow.
Second Prize: Ms. Prapti Patel, Indian Law Society’s College, Pune.
Third Prize: No Suitable Entry
First published on December 24
Since its inception, CIRC has been making modest attempt to fill the knowledge and awareness gap through its various capacity building initiatives. The proposed initiative aims to sensitise the students on competition policy & law and economic regulation in India.
By engaging students in an essay writing contest and thus raising their inquisitiveness, CIRC seeks to contribute in building future professional in these significant domains. Continuing our partnership with SILF, we propose second essay competition for students.
To promote creativity, the contest suggests following broad themes for essays rather than a specific topic. The essays shall have a policy focus, discuss empirical situations and focus on Indian context.
Competition Policy and Law
1. Five years of Competition Law regime in India
2. Competitive Neutrality and the Competition Law
3. Need for a National Competition Policy in India
4. Devising effective strategies for combating Cartel behaviour
1. Emerging Trends in Economic Regulation (can be sector specific, e.g. Electricity, Telecom, Water, Transport, etc. or focused on any specific aspect or regulatory tool)
2. Public Private Partnership for Infrastructure Development
3. Land & Environmental Regulation
4. Interface between sectoral regulators and other agencies
1. The contest is open to post-graduate students from any discipline of social science.
2. The participants must hold an undergraduate degree
3. Students currently enrolled in a recognised university
4. Students who are undergoing five year integrated LLB degree and have successfully completed three years are also eligible to participate.
5. Joint submission is allowed. But all the participants must meet the above eligibility criteria.
6. Each participant can submit only one entry.
The essays submitted by the participants must be in ‘English’ language only.
The essay must be typed in Microsoft Word with Times New Roman, Font size 12, 1.5 linear spacing, on A4 size paper with 2.56 CM margin on each side.
The essays must be accompanied with a small abstract of not more than 300 words.
Maximum size of the essay is limited to 4,000 words excluding footnotes.
Citations/references should be provided in the footnotes and all footnotes shall be in OSCOLA Format (click HERE)
Each submission must include two cover pages.
The first should include the paper’s title and the participant’s name, school/university, year of study, mail and email address, and phone number.
The second page should include only the title of the essay and abstract.
Participants must email an electronic copy of their submission in Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries must be received by February 15, 2015 [UPDATED]
The participants submitting an entry in this essay contest need to affirm that the entry is his/her own work.
Plagiarism can lead to outright rejection of submission and legal action.
All the entries will be evaluated anonymously by fellows and faculties of the CUTS Institute for Regulation & Competition (CIRC) and some eminent external experts. Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
a. Originality and clarity of the content
b. Title and structure of the essay
c. Quality of the analysis and research
d. Grammar, syntax and form
Notification of Winners & Prizes
The winners of the essay writing competition shall be intimated though their contact details submitted by them as well as published on the CIRC Website.
Selected essay writers will presented with a commendation certificate and cash prize, in a specially organised event.
The selected essays shall be published by CIRC in an appropriate format.
There are total five prizes, as described below:
I. First Prize (02 nos): Commendation certificate and a cash prize of Rs 20,000 (each)
II. Second Prize (02 nos): Commendation certificate and a cash prize of Rs 10,000 (each)
III. Third Prize (02 nos): Commendation certificate and a cash prize of Rs 5,000 (each)
Terms and Conditions
All the participants interested to submit their essay, accept all the terms and conditions mentioned in entirety and shall abide by the same throughout the essay competition.
CIRC will hold the copyright of the awarded essays and may reproduce them in any appropriate format, with due credit to the authors.