The Competition Commission of India (CCI) is organizing its annual two-day National Conference on Economics of Competition Law on 5-6 April, 2018 in New Delhi.
This conference aims to:
- Stimulate research and debate on contemporary issues in the field of economics of competition law
- Develop a better understanding of competition issues relevant to the Indian context
- Draw inferences for implementation of competition law in India
Who should participate?
The conference targets economists including scholars, practitioners and competition agency officials with a keen interest in competition regulation.
Submission of papers
A 500-word abstract of the paper including research questions, methodology and expected results along with one-page curriculum vitae and professional contact details should be submitted initially.
Authors of selected abstracts will then be invited to submit full papers.
The conference is expected to cover a wide range of related themes. However, papers in following themes are encouraged
- Market definition, measuring market power and abuse of dominance: Issues like empirical methods of defining markets, measuring market power, and assessment of exclusionary unilateral conduct etc. may be covered among others.
- Vertical restraints and competition: Vertical restraints can have many procompetitive as well as anticompetitive effects. Papers may explore areas such as resale price maintenance, assignment of exclusive territories or exclusive dealing, tying and circumstances under which these restrictions have significant anti-competitive effects
- Horizontal agreements and cartelization: Prohibition of collusive conduct of firms is a key component of competition law. Papers may explore issues such as economics of collusion, information exchange, price signaling, facilitating factors for cartels, detecting and discouraging cartels etc.
- Economics of platform markets and challenges for antitrust enforcement: New digital products and business models as well as the special characteristics of digital markets have created new challenges for enforcement and competition policy. Papers may explore new tools and techniques that the discipline of economics offers for assessing competition issues in platform markets.
- Intellectual Property Rights and Competition Law: Competition law will be concerned not with the legitimate exercise of an IP right, but with efforts of the holders of this right to expand the scope, either to new products, or beyond a certain time or by conditioning access to the right on restrictions. Papers may explore the areas of recent concerns in the IP competition law interface.
- Price and non-price effects of mergers: Economic analysis is playing an increasingly important role in merger review. Papers may focus on recent developments in estimating the effects of mergers (merger simulation, diversion ratios, pricing pressure indices, etc.), the welfare effects of mergers including vertical or conglomerate mergers, issues in the use of remedies, that is, adoption of structural and/or behavioral remedies.
- Any other issues related to competition policy and law
There is no conference fee.
Depending on the quality of submissions, some papers may be considered for publication by the CCI. Given the limited time available for presentation at the conference, some exceptional papers not selected for presentation may be considered for inclusion in the publication or the electronic compendium to be placed on the CCI website.
Deserving speakers may be considered for financial support.
New Delhi, India
Important dates and deadlines
- Last date of submission of abstracts: 15th August 2017 2300 hrs IST
- Review, Selection and intimation: 15th September 2017
- Last date for submission of full papers: 15th December 2017
- Review and Finalization of papers: 15th January 2018
- Conference dates: 5-6 April 2018
Selection of themes and speakers
The CCI will have complete discretion in deciding the themes of the sessions based on the responses received as well as in selecting the speakers. Papers based on empirical research are encouraged.
Abstracts along with CV may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests for further information or any other queries may also be sent to this email id.
For the official notification, click here.