The Alternative Dispute Resolution Cell (ADRC) of Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab and the Straus Institute of Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, USA are jointly organising the Ratan K. Singh Essay Writing Competition on International Arbitration.
About Mr. Ratan K. Singh
Mr. Ratan K. Singh is a well-known advocate practicing before the Supreme Court of India, New Delhi and a renowned Arbitrator. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), UK, the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators, and the Asian Institute of Alternate Dispute Resolution. Mr. Singh regularly sits as an arbitrator and has chaired or participated as tribunal member or counsel in many domestic and international arbitrations, ad-hoc as well as under the rules of ICC, Paris, UNCITRAL, SIAC, Indian Council of Arbitration (ICA), Delhi International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), etc. He is the founder Chairman of the Indian branch of the Society of Construction Law (SCL), UK and the Director of the Indian Branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), UK. Mr. Singh is an accredited tutor of CIArb, UK and is a visiting faculty of Indian Society of International Law (ISIL), New Delhi.
About RGNUL, Punjab
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL), Punjab, was established by the State Legislature of Punjab by passing the Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law Punjab Act, (Punjab Act No. 12 of 2006).
About Alternative Dispute Resolution Cell (ADRC)
The Alternative Dispute Resolution Cell (ADRC) has been established to promote students’ interest in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) constituting dispute resolution methods like Arbitration, Negotiation, Mediation and Conciliation, and endeavours to promote and develop ADR as a vehicle of socio-economic and political justice. The ultimate objective of the Cell is to strengthen ADR mechanism in the country by emerging as a platform for students to further their interests in the field.
About Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University
The Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law, USA is one of the world’s leading educational institutions in the field of dispute resolution. Repeatedly recognized as the foremost academic center of its kind, the Institute brings together an unparalleled full-time teaching and research faculty with scholars and practitioners from throughout the U.S., Canada, Latin America, Asia and Europe, and within three decades of its founding, the Institute has established itself as a standard of excellence in preparing effective negotiators, peacemakers and problem solvers and a driving force for improving the culture of conflict in America.
THEME: Challenges Facing International Arbitration and their Possible Solutions
- Increasing Diversity in International Arbitration
- Role of Technological Innovation in International Arbitration
- Improving efficiency of International Arbitration
- Bringing consistency and certainty in the international arbitration jurisprudence
- Erosion of principle of party autonomy in international arbitration
- Abuse of Process in International Arbitration
- Enforceability of Awards in International Arbitration
- Third Party Funding in International Arbitration
- Impartiality and Independence of Arbitrators in International Arbitration
The above mentioned list of sub-themes is merely illustrative and not exhaustive and hence, any other submission pertinent to the main theme shall be accorded due consideration.
The following cash prizes shall be awarded to the winners:
- FIRST PRIZE: INR 25,000
- SECOND PRIZE: INR 15,000
- THIRD PRIZE: INR 10,000
Submission and Publication
- The essays must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Submission for The Ratan K. Singh Essay Writing Competition on International Arbitration”.
- The deadline for submission is 11:59 pm, 15th February, 2019 (Indian Standard Time- GMT+5:30 hours). The deadline may be extended at the discretion of the ADRC. Late entries will not be accepted under any circumstances whatsoever.
- Students and Research Scholars pursuing Under Graduate, Post Graduate and Doctoral degree from any recognized university can participate in the competition.
- Co-authorship is not permitted.
- There is no registration fee for the competition.
- In addition to the top three winners, 9 selected essays will be published in the form of an edited book with an ISBN Number.
Sidharath Goyal: 7696405448
Komal Parakh: 8427254621
Uday Agnihotri: 9815092215
Raghav Mudgal: 9915873281
For further details, and in case of any query, reach us at email@example.com with the subject “Query- Ratan K. Singh Essay Writing Competition on International Arbitration”.