Applications/nominations are invited for one year Masters Degree Program in Law under
Young Leaders’ Program (YLP) to be held from October 2019 to September 2020 at the Kyushu University, Graduate School of Law, Japan. (The YLP is one of the Japanese Government (MEXT*) Scholarship Programs.)
Eligible Countries and Participants
Participants are selected from the countries listed below. They should be legal professionals, who are expected to play an active role as future national leaders in their respective countries.
Eligible Countries: P. R. China, Rep. of Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Viet Nam, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Mongolia, Singapore, India, Rep. of South Africa and Turkey (15 Countries)
Number of Students: 15 students maximum per year.
- Allowance: 242,000 yen per month. Due to the situation of the Japanese Government’s budget, the amount of payment may be subject to change each fiscal year.
- Transportation to Japan: In principle, MEXT stipulates the travel schedule and route, and provides an economy-class airline ticket from the international airport nearest to his/her home address (in principle, the country of nationality) to the Fukuoka International Airport.
- Transportation from Japan: Based on the application by the grantee, MEXT will provide an airline ticket to grantees who shall graduate the accepting university and return to the home country by the end of the final month of the period of scholarship.
- Education Fees: Fees for entrance examination, matriculation and tuition will be paid by MEXT.
- Accommodation: Students can apply for a room at Kyushu University accommodation. (Please note: The number of rooms is limited and successful candidates are not guaranteed a room).
- Age: Applicants must be, in principle, under 40 years old as of 1st October 2019 (i.e. born on or after 2 October 1979).
- Academic: Applicants must be college graduates who have attained a high level of academic achievement in their undergraduate study.
- English Ability: A minimum TOEFL –PBT, ITP score of 550, TOEFL-iBT score of 80, IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent.
- Work Experience: At least 4 years of work experience in the applicant’s home country in a law office or in the legal section of a company or government department. This work experience must be full-time and after graduation from university
Recruitment and Selection
Method of Recruitment: Recruitment will be conducted through specially designated recommending institutions. Please enquire at the Japanese Embassy for further information on the recommending institutions.
- First screening by the recommending authorities
- Second screening by the host university (in this case, Kyushu University)
- Final screening by the YLP Committee established by MEXT
How to apply
The application form is given here.
The complete set of applications (in five copies – one original and four photocopies)
should reach the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Department of Personnel and Training Department through the Administrative Ministry/Department/State Government not later than 15th October, 2018.
Mr. S. Sinha, Embassy of Japan in India: Phone: 011-4610 4865
For detailed notification, click here.