About the Organization
Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. Their policy, advocacy, and technology teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa, North America, and South/Southeast Asia, in order to globally advance our mission.
About the Internship
We are looking for an Asia Public Policy Intern to join our global policy team, based in India and learn how to help policymakers in the Asia Pacific region understand the open Internet and combat emerging threats to digital rights.
You’ll be partnered with Raman Jit Singh Chima and Naman Mukul Aggarwal, who’ll provide the guidance and structure that will enable you to make the most out of your time working on one of today’s most pressing human rights challenges.
Each day will present a set of new and unique challenges, but the focus is to learn about and support Access Now’s five programmatic areas of Freedom of Expression, Privacy, Connectivity and Combating Network Discrimination, Digital Security and Business, Human Rights and Trade!
You’ll be connected with our global network of Internet policy makers and learn how our organization runs and operates. Additionally, you will have a ringside view of the fast paced technology law and policy environment in Asia, where the next billion Internet users are going online.
During this internship you can expect the following responsibilities, tasks and experiences:
- Gain specialized knowledge in our 5 program areas.
- Track policy, legislative, and legal developments in Asia pertaining to technology and digital rights, and provide regular briefs on matters related to our policy program areas.
- Research, write, and edit policy briefs and position papers and prepare external and internal written material.
- Analyse and review national and international laws as well as legal rulings, regulatory consultations, and legislative developments addressing aspects of digital human rights, with particular focus on Asia.
- Learn how to support policy planning and the operational challenges in coordinating digital rights work across a globally distributed organisation.
- Learn how to develop and manage organizational relationships and partnerships, and scope out and prepare for global events and travel.
- Work with other members of the team and attend and contribute to our team meetings and gain insight into how global public policy teams and international non-profits work.
- Assist with various projects as required.
A successful applicant will be interested in internet freedom and human rights, including developments in digital security, privacy, and connectivity. They’ll be able to handle the fast paced and global environment in which we operate, and will be interested in learning and developing the policy work that we undertake, but also interested in gaining an understanding of how the organization functions and operates.
Ideally, candidates will be enrolled in the final programme year (or a recent graduate) of a university of law, political science, international relations, sustainable business or with a technology or operations background.
Being well organized, motivated, and reliable will also help your application. So will proven research and strong writing skills. Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of other languages is a plus. Experience with organisational work and communications ability is a strong plus.
New Delhi; candidates are required to have legal status to be able to work in person from India for the period of the internship;
Time Commitment and Terms:
- Term usually of 2 to 4 months
- Minimum of 25 hours per week
- Start date: rolling, beginning March-April 2018
- A competitive stipend will be offered. We’ll also gladly offer academic credit and assistance where possible.
To apply, send a copy of your CV, a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position, and two references (only one may be academic) to email@example.com. Please place “Asia Public Policy Intern– [Your Name]” as the subject line.
Deadline: February-March (rolling)
For official website link, click here.